Tuesday, November 17, 2009

a time to lie

what do you tell a 3 year old when he needs to give blood?

a mommy’s dilemma….do i talk him through it, giving him a little heads up?  do i give him a pep talk as he hops up in the big chair?do i make up a funny story as they are wrapping that dreaded rubber band around his tiny little arm? do i reassure him as they put the needle in?

nope….i said nothing.

well, not exactly nothing….i babbled. I didn’t give him a clue about what was happening to him….I babbled about the nurse who was restraining him and about the ice cream he wanted.

and it worked! well, kind of. he may never trust me again….and i am still shaking from watching that needle go in.

DSCN1855

hopefully we’ll find out what is making him cough ALL the time.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Poor Cooper! Isn't that so hard? Sawyer had to have it done a few times last fall and it was so hard for me. It just breaks your heart. (((HUGS))) to you and I hope they find out what is causing his cough. Let me know what you find out.