i think of my grandfather when i make this recipe.
we used to make batches of peanut brittle and put it in tins for my grandfather…we would watch him open it up and then quickly close it up….we would ask, “what did you get Bub?”
“oh nothing.” he would say…as he would get up to hide his stash of peanut brittle so he wouldn’t have to share it :)
easy recipe if you have the right mixing bowl….a glass one with a handle is perfect……and this is not recipe to do with kids because it is very hot! even when mixing….don’t put your face near it…i’ve learned this the hard way……and work quickly on the last step because it will harden very quickly.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 cup salted peanuts or cashews
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
grease a cookie sheet with sides….put aside
- in glass bowl mix sugar and karo. Microwave for 4 minutes.
- add nuts. microwave for 4 minutes.
- add butter and vanilla. microwave for 1.5 minutes.
- add baking soda. stir well and QUICKLY and CAREFULLY pour into cookie sheet…..spread with buttered spatula.
- after it cools you can break into pieces.
and if you want the house to smell amazing…make a batch of spiced pecans too!
Happy baking everyone!